E-Learning Design in a 100x100 Story Size? #331

Tiny E-Learning Examples  #331: Challenge | Recap

This week's challenge was inspired by a chat I had with Dave and Nejc on their E-Learning Guys podcast. 

During the show, we started sharing off-the-wall ideas for possible challenges. For example, Dave had the crazy idea of building a course using Storyline's minimum slide size: 100x100. 

At first, that seems painfully small. But when displayed in the player, the size is scaled much larger.

E-Learning Design in a 100x100 Story Size? #331

Working in such a small space creates challenges for content choices and the types of media you choose. Keep in mind that your text size will be around 3px in size. That's crazy small, but it's all vector, so it scales beautifully. 

And with Storyline's recent Text AutoFit improvements, the scrollbars can also help accommodate text that doesn't fit in the slide.

Tip: Remove the margins from your text box and shapes. This will give your text more breathing room. 

Format Text in Storyline 360

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to share an example using a slide size of 100x100. If you're using another authoring tool or PowerPoint, work within the tool's limits to use a small canvas or slide size.

Share Your E-Learning Work

• Comments: Use the comments section below to share a link to your published example and blog post.
  • Forums: Start  your own thread and share a link to your published example..
  • Personal blog:  If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.
  • Social Media: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.

Last Week’s Challenge:

To help kickstart this week’s challenge, check out the creative ways course designers applied Mayer’s Multimedia Learning principles to e-learning:

13 Examples of Mayer’s Multimedia Learning Principles Applied in E-Learning

Multimedia Learning Principles RECAP #330: Challenge | Recap

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

85 Comments
Jonathan Hill
Jonathan Hill
Jonathan Hill
Ange CM

Hi Brenda, I came across something by accident that may help. If you import the characters or any jpg image/illustration and then crop them in Articulate, a pixel or few should do it, the images render infocus. Not sure what is going on behind the scenes in Articulate but looks like it sharpens or saves them in a different image format when cropped in Articulate. You can also resize them larger and they are still in focus, albeit a tad soft and grainy. Here is a test file I did on 100x100 slide, on the left are straight imports and how they render ) , on the right are the (in Articulate) cropped versions of same imports, and larger renderings on 2nd and 3rd slides. https://360.articulate.com/review/content/85d33bb7-6d77-4634-bc94-e38aaf739279/review Image formats: https://desi... Expand

Jodi M. Sansone
Ange CM
David Anderson
David Anderson
Jen Edgerton
Ange CM
Jodi M. Sansone
Kimberly Eng
Molly Fisher
David Anderson
Susan Schleef

I created a text animation in PowerPoint and exported it as a GIF. It looks great in the GIF Viewer I have installed on my PC, But after reading some of the discussion about various problems that others encountered, I'm curious to see how mine will look in the browser. However, that's where I got stuck! Review360 won't let me upload a GIF. Facebook has apparently changed their rules while I've been ignoring it and I can't post it there. And it's been so long since I posted on my own blog that the prospect of logging in there feels overwhelming. I even tried to start a new Storyline file, thinking I would insert my GIF on a slide there. But I've never changed the slide dimensions in Storyline (since I mostly use Rise) and surprisingly David's post for this week's challenge doesn't men... Expand

David Anderson
Susan Schleef
Jodi M. Sansone
Brenda Barley-Kay