Using Gate Screens and Modal Boxes in E-Learning #269

Gate Screens and Modal Boxes in E-Learning #269: ChallengeRecap

How do you slow down the flow of information and give learners a chance to reflect or take action? One way is by using gate screens.

What are Gate Screens?

Modal windows and gate screens are a great way to make learners pause and interact with your course before continuing through it. Think of gates like floating dialog boxes that provide a big picture overview or contextual help for a specific slide.

Some typical uses for gate screens are general instructions, navigation and course player tips. 

Gate screens can also be used to provide compliance agreements, course checklists, and custom sitemaps for your course.

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to share an e-learning example featuring a gate screen or modal box. Your example can be static or interactive.

We hosted a gate screen challenge seven years ago. You can view the challenge examples in this recap post.

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you unlock your creative gates this week, take a few moments to check out the animated examples your fellow challengers shared in last week's Rube Goldberg challenge:

Rube Goldberg Animations in E-Learning

Rube Goldberg Animations in E-Learning #268: Challenge | Recap

Wishing you a great week, E-Learning Heroes!

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

124 Comments
Nick Russell
Nick Russell
Trey McNabb
Jodi M. Sansone
David Charney
Daniel Jovanov
Daniel Jovanov
Kyle Main

so great! Thanks for sharing the download. I look forward to exploring how you went about doing this. I like that the cars loop. Off the top of my head, I think that it is worth trying to set the X value equal to the Log X value "when they intersect" and somehow reset when they no longer intersect after pressing the up key. I'm not sure about moving along the log. Maybe then add +1 to the log x value when the user presses the right button or -1 if pressing the left button (if they still intersect). At the same time the variable of the log would still have to keep updating the x value which updates the frogs x valu when that variable changes, (+ or - what ever was previously recorded. Not sure, this was off the top of my head but I really want to try this. I saw an example of a stor... Expand

David McEachan
Lisa Spirko
Ramon Talavera
Sunet Sullivan
FasterCourse Templates