Adding a blur effect to images you use in your e-learning courses is a great graphic technique for creating compelling backgrounds and interactions. There’s so much you can do with a simple blur effect: you can direct learners’ attention to the key components of an image or scene. You can reduce distractions by blurring eye-catching backgrounds. Or you can make a scene feel abstract, putting the learner’s full focus on the text, characters, or other on-screen elements.
And these are just a few examples of what’s possible when you apply blur effects to image backgrounds. These five new examples highlight the effects you can create when you judiciously apply the image blur effect in your projects. Check them out:
- See how adding a subtle blur to the scenes in this demo by Amar Kulshreshtha keeps the learners focused on the text and characters.
- Tweak the slider in this interaction by Helen Tyson to see how blurring an image takes it from sharp to abstract.
- Reduce distractions by adding a blur to other objects in an interaction—see how in this demo by Laurel Malialis.
- Watch this demo by Veronica Budnikas to see how blurring a background image can make text so much easier to read.
- Set the right mood for your course with a dreamy, blurred background like the vineyards in this New Zealand wine-themed interaction by Tania Vercoelen.
Wondering how to get this effect yourself? Check out the resources and see even more examples in this E-Learning Challenge. And if you’d like a shortcut to getting this look in your next project, grab this download with more than a hundred free blurred backgrounds you can use in your projects.